FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Birthday Bash-Up - Mamma Mia

Wow, I have not updated for a while. Sorry. I have been feeling under the weather of late. Not sure what is wrong but I have been hit with an overwhelming desire to stay in bed forever, with the lights off and either listen to Jane Austen audiobooks or watch Meryl Streep movies. I think my “so used to being unhealthy body that is now not unhealthy” is fighting against the flu. It is doing okay apart from my now six day long head ache and sporadic coughing attacks. Fun fact about Fi. Fi does not cough like a normal person. Fi barks like a dog or a seal depending on the severity. Fi sounds like a lung ward. Fi does not know any different. It is very funny when new people meet my cough. Why am I talking in the third person? I don’t know. Brain is foggy, must move on.

Anywho, I have lots of outfit photos to upload and stories to tell but should probably not bombard you with them all at once.

I am finally free from the dogs from hell (or the “delightful little angels” if you are talking to their owners) and back in my own place. I was so relieved to be rid of them I spent the night I left carrying around friend K’s doggie Snap who I normally just pat hello and leave alone as Snap himself is not always well behaved. The two bottles of champagne I consumed on 4.5 hours sleep probably helped my mood that night though.

So, where did I leave off?

Hmmm, Friday night was my birthday night. L and I went to the theatre. Aka - to see Mamma Mia. Pre-theatre we went to this great little joint in Victoria Park called “TLMP” or “That Little Mexican Place”. We had the most amazing dip ever. It was called queso fundido. Or melted cheese dip. So freaking good. Not so good for the diet though. We also had guacamole made fresh at our table. Yummo and so fresh it seemed to counteract the cheese one or lets just pretend it did. Highly recommend this place. It is BYO and apparently you can even take your tequila. Do book though as it is small (seats 20) and appears to be quite popular. Oh and there are lots of gluten free stuff. The corn chips (gluten free) are AMAZING. We are going back post haste just to have dip and dessert. We had to miss out on dessert that night though a. because we were both full to the brim and b. because we were running late to the show….


Programme sneakily purchased for me by L. Thanks mum :-)

In 2002, when I was an aspiring actor and in year 12, my drama class went on a drama trip to Melbourne. We saw Mamma Mia its opening night. We saw John Wood and Rachel Griffiths and I am sure others but this was 8 years ago so I can’t remember. Certain members of my group may have yelled and waved across the streets of Melbourne at midnight “Rachel, Rachel Griffiths we love you, Woo”, but I promise I was not one of them... maybe. Anywho, at 16 I did not love Mamma Mia the musical. It was light hearted and fun but I only knew a few of ABBA’s songs and from our nose bleed seats, the view was not that great. My memory is that I was not impressed by the storyline or dialogue. EgOh, no this place is falling down around me. Where am I going to get the money to fix it up?..... “I work all night, I work all day to pay the bills I have to pa-ay”. Still I did stand and dance at the end and then I yelled at Rachel Griffiths (oops, no I didn’t).

Then the movie came out and I didn’t go to the cinema to see it. Then my mum and her girls organised a girls night to watch it together, costumes and incontinence inducing mattress jumping inclusive, so mum bought the DVD. We sat and watched the whole thing that day, then again with the karaoke version and then with the commentary. I was a little hooked. Since this time I have been obsessed. I have seen the movie a million times and have both the Broadway and movie soundtracks. How could I not be won over? Meryl and Colin in the same movie.

So when I heard Mamma Mia was going to be in Perth, I knew I had to go. And I thought it was great. The set was simple but affective. Just a few Greek style walls that were moved about into different configurations depending on the scene. I had a little trouble hearing some of Donna's lyrics but I think she was having mic problems and it appeared fixed by the second half. The only criticism would be that the costumes that gave Sophie were awful. The actress is a petite little thing but she looked frumpy in almost everything they put her in. Not that I expected her to walk around in a bathing suit like Sophie does in the movie (and admittedly I find this a little strange) but still they could have done a little better.

The most annoying thing of the night though was the people cheering when songs started (like they didn't know they were coming) and the singing along. SPOILER... During the wedding scene, when Sam is proposing to Donna and Donna pauses before singing "I do, I do, I do, I do, I do-oo", people started singing before Donna did. I was throughly annoyed. I may have yelled "Shut-up" and sunk into my chair. I may have not. Where is the respect for the actors people?

This was one of my favourite scenes. The first after intermission. Sorry about crappy flash-back, my camera and I are having issues.



As I am a firm believer in getting dressed for the theatre. Note little girls who sat next to us - tights, tees and thongs are not appropriate attire. This is what I wore. Reenacted the day after as I had to get my good clothes off asap when I got home to avoid dog exposure.


I love the detail of this dress and the contrasting patterns.

Rodarte for Target Dress
Portmans Jacket
Random Tights
Tony Bianco Boots

So all in all was a great birthday. Oh and I am seeing it again with mum. Promise to post again soon :-)

3 comments:

Elle said...

Yay for amazingly yummy food and a great show and an awesomely fun night! Totally going back to TLMP for just dip and dessert, omg.

But mostly yay for you posting again!

The bit about your cough made me laugh out loud, hahaha.

Hearts!

ParisandPearls said...

I was very close to purchasing a similar version of your Rodarte for Target dress off ebay. Seeing yours made me wish i had. Gorgeous!

Fi said...

Oh you should try get one off eBay. I am sure there are a few hanging around. I have this one and the ochre bow one and love them both.