FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tiffany's Tirade

In an attempt to cheer myself up after a sad couple of days I am fantasizing about buying myself something from Tiffany's. Since the days of the locket bracelet craze I have wanted something from there but for some reason never got around to buying anything. This is of course despite knowledge that T&C has a tendency of not being worth the $$ and me being on a shopping ban. I thought about George Jensen or Marc by Marc Jacobs (two other elusive brand for me) but no, I was decided, Tiffs it would be.

Yesterday the desire was overwhelming to buy myself something really nice for me. I am such an emotional shopper. Turns out D is too. Although man tools and Bunnings does not really cheer me up in the same way that shiny sparkly jewelery would. 

This sudden obsession over NEEDING fancy jewellery is a little off beat for me. I rarely ever wear jewels and when I do it is costume. If I recall correctly in the last four months I have worn my Karen Walker tusk necklace about three times, my bow necklace once, a $3 pair of Sportsgirl black rose earrings twice and a (gorgeous) Sportsgirl bow leopard print ring three times. You just must see the ring, it is fab:


Apart from a string of pearls that I got when I was 10 (and maybe a Pandora bracelet if you count that), I do not own any "fine" jewelry. My sister has a lot. It just really isn't my kinda thing or I have just never been given any or felt the inclination to buy any. I do fantasise though.

Case in point  is engagements rings. I think spending tens of thousands of dollars on a ring is ridiculous (as well as on a wedding). If I am to ever marry I don't know how I would wear a ring as I am such a fiddler and would be bound to lose it. I think I would probably just wear it around my neck. It wouldn't be fancy nor expensive anyway. Give me vintage art deco anyday. Hmm a bit off topic there. So many people (and bloggers) seems to be getting married atm I am getting taken away with all the hype. I like nice things as much as the next person but some people just go crazy and over the top. I'd prefer to spend my money on things that count like paying off debs, holidays, home renovations or building a nest egg. A pretty backyard with a barbecue seems as good a place as any to me to tie the knot. It doesn't mean I can't look at other people's extravagance though.

Anyway back to Tiff. I trawled through the website for ages trying to decide what sort of piece I would like as my first.

Ring? No, I would wear it once before I look down and realise it is not on my finger, rush to the loos during my uncle's 60th birthday speech only to get there and remember it was in my bra after all for safe keeping. Or lose my grandmother's heirloom which I was not supposed to be wearing anyway the afternoon of my Year 12 ball and make my mum drive all around the suburbs looking for it only to discover it was in my bag all along.

Earrings? No, I forget I had them and then when I remembered them and decided to wear them, I would try and put them in when I am driving along the freeway (being stared at the whole time by an army officer who is strapped to the back of the jeep in front of me) and manage to re-pierced my my right ear (how could I put it through the wrong hole ??) that has been closed up for the last 16 years after I refused to have crooked earrings and made my mum let me pierce the right one again so they were straight.

Bracelet? No. Too hard to type with them on. It annoys me.

Necklace?? Yes. I can fiddle with a pendant all I like by it will stay firmly secured around my neck and not cause too much stress or annoyance.
 
So I finally decided on this:




The Return to Tiffany double heart tag pendant.
Mini double heart tag pendant in sterling silver and 18k rose gold. On a 16" chain.

At $250 I thought it was a good price. A little more special than just stirling silver but not too expensive and with real old worldly T&C charm.

I was decided, I would buy it. Free shipping over $150 too. Bargain.Then I clicked to enter by details and it said that they only delivered to the US. What?? Oh no, I realised I had opened to US site (I had looked a few separated times that day). Never mind I thought, I'll just pop over the the AU site. I thought it might be a little more expensive but not much. To my dismay here it costs $385!!! What? How can there be a $135 difference? There is a Tiffany & Co in Perth now for Christ sake. It is not like it is any longer unobtainable or exotic.

This disheartening discovery made be rethink my irrational NEED want for something fancy and I am at peace with the fact that this pretty necklace will not be fine. I can;t stop thinking about it though. It keeps my mind off things.

And breathe

Fi

1 comment:

Elle said...

That's okay, when we go to NYC we can go to Tiffany's together and buy pretty things for ourselves. Or each other to make us feel better about spending money, like we do sometimes, haha. I've always wanted one of their amazing key necklaces.