FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Swimming Support

I have decided to do the Rottnest Swim next year.

For those of you who don’t know what this is, it is a 19.7 kilometre ocean swim from the Mainland (Perth) to Rottnest Island. It is one of the biggest ocean swim competitions in the world. See here:


Now, I am not crazy and I am not doing the whole thing myself, I am swimming in a team of four. The standard thing to do is for each team member to swim for about ten minutes at a time and we have eight hours to swim the whole thing.

I am not as fit I have been in the pool and I have been slack on the exercise front of late but people (mainly my parents) are being relay discouraging about my decision.

Not that my parents have ever really been the type to shower me with compliments and tell me how wonderful I am (parents who don’t even tell me I was "good" when I used to get up and sing, act and dance in front of an audience – not that I am sour or anything) but I spoke to them on Sunday about it and they did not say one positive thing about this decision.

They were all like, “you know it costs $250 to enter” and “you can’t wear your snorkel” and “you should be able to swim 40 laps nonstop” and “you should be able to swim five kilometres”. No Mum and Dad, I just decided to enter without doing any research!!

It is just very frustrating. I am doing something good for myself and nada!!

So very maturely, to spite all my non-believers, I am going to do this and I am going to do this on my own. I could ask my dad to help me train but I am not going too. I am just going to go along my merry way and do it all myself (with the help of my team of course). And I am not going to mention the swim to my parents again. And if they bring it up, I will fob them off. Wow, I am such a great person huh.

But you what, I am not doing this to win it. I am doing this to do something with my life. To have something to work for and look forward too. Even if my team does not finish or I struggle on the day, at least I would have tried. So screw you non-believers, I am going to do this and this will be me!!!
  



6 comments:

Dont you know April Rose? said...

Cripes, go Fi! My parents are the same, eternal pessimists.

Simone Rennard said...

You go lady!!! Its so inspiring and I really admire you for it!

Elle said...

"All your non-believers"... I was excited for you and I still think it's an amazing decision and whether or not you even finish it is irrelevant. The fact that you have something to aim towards and you want to do it is fantastic.

I can totally help you train in January! And clearly I mean "cheer on the side of the pool" while you train. Or read my book at the side of the pool and occasionally look up and say, "Wow, Fi, that was awesome! Well done!" is probably even more accurate. Hahaha.

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

That's the spirit Fi! You will do awesome :)I will totally be there to cheer you on down at Cott on the day.

Fi said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! It means a lot.

JMay said...

Holy crap, that is impressive!!!

You can do it, rockstar! :-)

http://jennymayandswede.blogspot.com/